I decided to do a post on a restaurant in Kona as part of my Small Business Shoutout series, but I could not decide on one, so I’m going to highlight several. They are all locally owned, some are Kona Impact clients, and they are all known for great food.
I understand that the State is going to send out $500 debit cards to people who are unemployed that can only be used at restaurants. I hope those who receive the cards seriously consider spending the bulk of that money at locally owned establishments, as that money will stay in our community and make everyone stronger.
Here’s my list of my favorite locally-owned restaurants, and why I like them. The names are linked to their websites if they have one.
- Krua Thai – Known for excellent Thai cuisine. On the corner of Henry Street and Kuakini.
- Poi Dog Deli – Great sandwiches and a nice selection of craft beer. Across from Denny’s
- Papa Kona – Awesome views, excellent service and great food. On the waterfront.
- Island Lava Java – Great coffee, baked goods and sandwiches. Coconut Grove.
- Bangkok House – Our favorite place for Thai food lunches. King Kamehameha Mall.
- Kona Crust Pizza – By the slice or whole pie. Our favorite pizza. Kona Coast Shopping Center on Palani
- Wicked Chirashi – Wonderful poke shop with new ownership in Lanihau Center
- Cultivate Good Food – Vegetarian sandwiches and juice in Kainaliu
Here are a few that we hope will open soon
- Island Ono Grill – Great burgers, reasonable prices. Alii Sunset Plaza
- Huggo’s – Spectacular food, drinks and views, Oceanfront by Royal Kona Resort
- Kalikala Cuisine – Gourmet food, outdoor setting. Across from sea wall
I always say if you want your favorite restaurant to be here, you need to support it. That is true, now more than ever. Even if you’re not ready to dine-in, most of these restaurants offer takeout.